20 February, 2013

Sew Many Choices

I know I told myself I was not going to buy any fabric, but I did it anyway. Hey, I'm a woman and it's my prerogative to change my mind as many times as I choose.

Here's my fabric. A Michael Miller design that has the lovely Parisian cafe artwork.


You may remember that Bernie Dexter chose this for one of her Swing Dresses last year. That's how I fell madly in love with the design.


Well, now I'm not sure which pattern to choose. I had my eyes on one, then I found this great 1940s day dress pattern perfect for a war years look and then from the new Amazing Fit patterns from Simplicity there's two looks I love as well.

Pattern #1

I chose option B as a possibility.

Pattern #2
Option B is my favorite and the first one that caught my eye. Love the sleeves.

Pattern #3
Option B has a great mix between war years and new look that I love.

Finally there is pattern #4
I love option 2 without the belt. I don't really feel tie belts give the best definition. So I'll probably just use one of my own leather belts.

Now if I chose pattern #3 I'd have to get some contrasting fabric, which won't be difficult. I wouldn't need much of it. If I were to choose pattern #4, I will need some buttons and then there are so many to choose from. Do you think rose buttons would work??

I'm new to sewing with reproduction and vintage patterns and seeing all these patterns, I have no idea which one to choose. All of the simplicity patterns would be good for me since I have never advanced past the beginner level, yet I love the style of the Butterick pattern. Another thing...would it be weird if I chose a the 1930s style butterick pattern since the ladies on the fabric are sporting new look frocks?? I was thinking it might be best to go with a 1940s style dress.

Completely off topic, but wouldn't it be nice if patterns cost 15 cents like the last one states??

14 comments:

  1. Ooh I actually have some of this fabric too! My mum used it to make dresses her granddaughters and I scored the leftovers. Its lovely. Really love the Butterick pattern with the green option, although your first choice is a nice classic shape too. Argh! Happy decsion-making! (15 cents would be fantastic!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neato!! That definitely is a great score!!! I got this from fabric.com and it was pricey for it just being cotton. I think that's why I'm having the dilemma. However, I think I'd like the 30s style better in a daisy print. I would love to make a daisy dress. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Pretty, pretty! Can't wait to see the finished project. Be sure to document the progression of your labors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like option B because of the different types of ways you can make it. Lovely fabric choice. Good luck with your dress adventure:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely going to be getting this pattern one way or another. Love how 1930s it looks.

      Delete
  4. Ah, for 15 cent patterns! that would be wonderful. Love the print! I noticed the first pattern at walmart and thought it looked 40ish. havent seen the second one. B is really cute! i'll have to look into that one, it seriously looks like a late 30s day dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can dream, right?? I was thinking that too! And I love simplicity patterns so much. Butterick comes in a strong second!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful print design and I love all the patterns you're looking at! As much as I like the 30's style pattern, I agree with you that the print might be more suitable for a 40's style dress. Also, as a side note, since the print on the fabric appears to be on the larger side it might not look as nice where it crisscrosses at the waist on option B. Whatever pattern you go with, though, I'm sure it will look great!

    It would be wonderful if patterns were still that inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think it would be a bit weird having a new look print on a 30s day dress. If I have gotten more fabric, I'd have opted for a 1950s style dress, but being frugal 4 yds was a but pricey. :-/ I hadn't thought of that, great point, Inky!!

      Delete
  6. I love your fabric, so darling. Chosing the pattern to go with it would be a hard decision, all of the patterns are great. Pattern #2 is my favorite but your fabric may work better with the first or last pattern. Cant wait to see which you decide. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think #1 and #4 are the ones I'm leaning towards. I love them the most for this fabric.

      Delete
  7. I'm rather found of the expression that it's a woman's prerogative to change her mind, too. Indeed it is! That fabric is absolutely, fabulously fun, cute and perfect for a forties day dress. I rather like second (one on the right) frock on the 4th pattern and "B" on the second pattern. This fabric is such a gem though, that I just know it's going to make any pattern you pick into a wonderful 40s approved work of art.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, the more I think about it the 1940s day dress is the best option, I guess 30s style patter will have to be created with another fab fabric print. :) I am really looking forward to making it.

      Delete