09 December, 2012

Vintage Basics {Clothing}

Not too long ago Jessica {of Chronically Vintage} did a fantastic piece on building a vintage wardrobe. It's not something you do overnight. It's a long drawn out process that sometimes takes years to complete. And then when you have a large variety of vintage in your wardrobe you might want to sell some of your pieces to acquire more.

There are plenty of staples she mentioned in her post that I have been acquiring for years. However, there are no vintage shops in my hometown. Not kidding!! So I have to either scrounge the goodwill racks or shop on-line.

I thought I'd do a post inspired by Jessica's.

The staple and/or basic for most ladies are dresses and skirts. I do love dresses, but I'm not the kind of person who would wear a dress or skirt everyday. I was such a tomboy growing up. My mom bought my boys jeans because I was constantly putting holes in the knees or getting stains on them. {Why is is that some men's clothing is better quality than women's?? Just a thought...}

What are my basics/staples in my vintage wardrobe....

 

Blouses - Blouses can be so versatile. You can interchange them from a pair of pants to a lovely circle skirt. Or if you want to be casual pair them with some vintage style dungarees and a cute cardigan. Also when I buy blouses, I don't buy vintage. I usually thrift button up blouses with neat details such as a puff sleeve, peter pan collar, or a neat print.



Dress - Shirt dresses and blank dresses are a great way for me to be both casual vintage and still be comfortable. Every lady needs at least one blank dress. A blank dress can be a solid color that you can pair with loads of items to create various looks.

 

Skirts - Yes, even though skirts are not my favorite {mainly because of my hips}, I do have a few in my wardrobe. And I mean a few, only four that fit me properly. I do have a black skirt that I can borrow off my mom if I need to, but just not a huge fan of skirts. :-/


 

Sweaters - I think sweaters/cardigans are one of my favorite basics in a vintage wardrobe. Because they can be both casual and dressy. I'm always buying thrifted cardi's from the clearance racks. I have even lost count of how many I actually have. I even own some vintage cardi's that are so darn cute! The argyle cardi shown above is probably my favorite and though the pink cardi is missing a button, I still got it, just look at the detail!! Both thrifted.

 

Pants - I've saved the best for last!! Pants are my go to items when I buy clothes. Dresses and skirts are a bit impractical, unless I'm going out or dressing for church. Pants are just a must for a vintage gal like me. I bought the brown overalls last year for my birthday and I adore them!! I don't have any other vintage pants. I'm in the process of acquiring a pair of repro dungarees {shown above}, but the size I got doesn't fit, it's just a size too small. I don't like my pants to be skin tight. So we'll see how things go. I've had a heck of a time trying to get myself a pair of vintage style jeans. :-/ Someday!!

That's it! All my vintage basics for my own vintage wardrobe. I do love finding dresses, but if I had my way I'd have more vintage style pants than dresses. I'm such a tomboy! :-) In my next post on Vintage Basics, I'm planning on discussing accessories.

12 comments:

  1. What a marvelous post, Sean. I'm really, really touched to know that my guide to buying and wearing vintage appropriate clothes inspired you so much (awww!). I completely agree with the staples you outlined here. If a gal has some, or all of these, in her closet, chances are she's be able to put together quite a few terrific vintage outfits.

    Can't wait to see your post about accessories.


    Thank you so much for the mention,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite an inspiring person, Jessica!! The only things I'm working on now is acquiring more bottoms. I love vintage separates!

      Delete
  2. Great post! I love your cat blouse! I'm a huge jeans and t-shirt kinda gal but I love wearing a whirly-twirly skirt with a cute top. I'm also starting to enjoy wine so I think I;m finally starting to grow up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catgirl! :) I'm big on t-shirts and jeans, too. Which is why I need a pair of vintage ones so I can still have my jeans while being vintage all at once. :) I do like sparkling cider...I hope that counts.

      Delete
  3. I love your post!! Staples in a vintage wardrobe are so imp...actually any wardrobe hehee xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks, Bunny! That is very true. These could go for any wardrobe. :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely post, I love hearing about the staples in your vintage wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such cute items! That cat blouse especially and the amazing graphic print skirt!. Hope you can find some quality jeans, they do seem to be the most elusive vintage item to obtain in my opinion too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I'm so in love with the cat blouse. It's jitterbuggin' and since I can't afford it, I would love to make a replica!! I have no idea why?!?!?! For me I got a pair of repro's and trying to get the customer service settled.

      Delete
  6. Awesome items! You have the best style sense!

    ReplyDelete