16 December, 2012

Vintage Basics {Accessories}



Hats - Hats to me are absolutely a MUST in any vintage wardrobe. I adore hats. I've always adored hats. Anywhere from the pillboxes of the 60s or the sleek cloches of the 20s and 30s...I love them all. I don't get a lot of wide brim hats. Why, because when you are a petite gal who is plus sized it's so hard to wear them. Also I don't have a lot of hat pins. Anyway, hats are a wonderful accessory that you can play around with. I think I've lost count of how many I own, but who cares!


Shoes -I know most vintage ladies go for high heels. I don't. I hurt my toes a year and a half ago and ever since then I can't wear any heels over 3". If I do get shoes, I am careful to try them on first. And I never try the 5" heels like I used to. {Being so short has allowed me to wear TALL heels.} I think keds are another great investment in vintage shoes. They were quite popular in the 40s for the casual look and it's still popular. Gosh, I love 40s fashions. I suggest if you can't get keds, get a pair of Vans. They are so identical to keds and just as comfy.

 

Purses/Bags - Purchasing vintage purses really isn't a need or even a want for me. I have no desire to purchase delicate vintage bags. I'm rough on my purses and I can't do that with a vintage piece. Not only that, but my purses are huge!! And I have all sorts of things in there that I'd have to purchase vintage suitcases to carry all of my must need items.

 

Jewelry - I love all kinds of jewelry, but I'm not the kind of person who has to have Bakelite. I have always bought whatever I liked despite whether or not it was apart of current fashion. That includes jewelry. I rarely purchase vintage jewelry. 1} Because it's so darn expensive. 2} You can find jewelry at supermarkets such as K-Mart that have a vintage look for a heck of a lot less. 3} And I don't particularly wear a LOT of jewelry except for my earrings. I did wear my vintage looking Star of David for a long time and then I lost it. :( So now I'm not wearing many necklaces.

 

Hairpieces - After chopping my locks off, I'm really into hair accessories {not to be confused with hats}. I love bobby pins with pretty rosettes on them or fascinators with vintage pizzazz. Also headbands and scarves have become a MUST in my wardrobe. I've lost count of how many I got at various stores. They are so neat and one can go with five different looks. That's a great way to spice up a vintage wardrobe {in my opinion}.

8 comments:

  1. Agree totally re the jewellery. There's a lot of stuff available now with a vintage look and no one can tell the difference. I wear short heels now too - after spraining my ankle this year I just can't wear massive heels any more. Luckily the shoes of yesteryear weren't all 5+ inches - there are some gorgeous little 2-3 inch heels trotting about now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! :) Glad I'm not alone. There are a lot of cute short heels out there. And you can find oodles on ebay!!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful look at classic vintage accessories! All of these are a must in my wardrobe, too (as are gloves). One of these days I've got to track down some Keds, they really can be super cute with casual styles.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooops I forgot gloves!! Shoot. I keep trying to get into the 'glove' look which really gives you that classic vintage look, but I can't. Although my hands are small, they're still relatively hard to fit, just like my hips. LOL!

      Delete
  3. Agree. All must haves for vintage lovers. That picture of the various hats is awesome. And that little Marilyn Monroe pin is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that on FB and thought it'd be perfect for this post. :) I found that on etsy and it's currently in my wish list. t's very cute!

      Delete
  4. WOW i loved this post! i love that you love 40s fashions. I love heels too but NEVER anything over 3 inches. I hate that 40s heels were usually about 4 in. I'm not very graceful and on the tall side of life so i have to be careful with heels. anything and i'm hobbling around at about 6 feet tall. I have very big feet to, so i nearly cry everytime i find wonderful vintage shoes at thrift or antique stores. I'm glad they make new shoes that, with the right dress and gloves, look SO vintage. Oh and black and white converse. you cant go wrong withh those!
    BEth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth!! The 40s are my all time fave decade. I think it's because they were The Greatest Generation. Oh, lucky you!! I only find 80s/90s shoes at my thirft stores. Grrr!! :-P And some saddle shoes!!

      Delete