11 December, 2012

Rosie the Reviewer {Vintage Pants Shopping}

I was talking with Bunny {of Bunny's Vintage Victory} on facebook the other day and finally have gotten the courage to write this post. And since my vintage desire is directed towards pants instead of dresses, I am reviewing the "where to" or "where not to" buy pants.

Do you ever get frustrated with poor or non-existent customer service?? For me, even if I have to pay an arm and a leg for something, if I get great customer service it's all worth it in the end. Here's a few shops I've dealt with and my experiences from them.


1. Freddies of Pinewood



On my journey to find great vintage jeans, my first stop was Freddies of Pinewood. I just LOVE how their jeans are so accurate. I love the feel of the material. It's so sturdy. BUUUUUTTT there customer service really sucks. I own two Freddie's items, one a bobby top and a pair of their jeans I bought from another blogger. Well, I contacted them on-line and it took them forever to get back to me. To top it all off, their tops were too big on me and their jeans too small. If you have hips, get one or two sizes bigger and just tailor them down. They were quite rude to me, needless to say not doing business with them again.


2. Cyd Angel {Ruggersmarty}

I'm sure you probably haven't heard of this seller. She's a small buisness owner who is also a pinup model. Last year I asked her to sew me up a pair of repro 1930's overalls. As soon as I got them I was thrilled!! The brown fabric was even prettier then the picture showed. I loved how comfy and versatile they were. I've even lost some inches and lost and gained weight since purchasing and they still fit like a glove. I highly recommend Cyd.


3. Online Sellers


I must caution you to beware what you purchase from ebay or etsy sellers. The above picture is the result of trusting someone with no feedback. I cannot stress this enough, do not buy from someone who has no feedback!! Make sure the seller has sold a few items, or similar items before purchasing. I took a chance and was almost taken. If you purchase a pair of vintage jeans from someone such as FabGabs or AlexSandra's, I would recommend them. They're established and trustworthy sellers.


4. Fab Gabs Vintage


Yes, it's the store that has every vintage gal salivating as soon as Julie lists a new item. Fab Gabs is one of the leading small business owners and it's no wonder her clothing is spectacular!! Last Christmas I purchased the above 60's does 40s playsuit when it was on sale. {It's the only way I can afford Fab Gabs!!} I contacted her and asked for it to be reserved, she did it immediately and after I purchased it warned me I would receive it closer to the new year. I was more than okay with that. When I got it, it was even better in person. LOVED it! A great experience buying a vintage pant item.


5. Nicole Katherine Designs


Where or where do I begin??? I fell in love with Nicole Katherine Designs about a year ago and have watched off and on when I could purchase a pair of her dungarees. She advised me to get the xl because it would have enough room for my massive wide hips. {Okay not massive.} As soon as I got them on the zipper pinched my skin it was so tight. I tried contacting the store owner and not only did she give me problems {remember she advised me to get that size} but refused to help me out in any way. I've never been more disappointed in customer service.

{I'll be featuring the last store in it's own personal review on customer service sometime in the near future.}

I've had my share of problems, but I've had some good outcomes too from buying vintage.

17 comments:

  1. I adore Fab Gabs! I have several pieces from her shop (most purchased during sales!) And sometimes I just browse her shop for the eye candy factor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's like you step into vintage heaven!!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Fab Gabs is so cool! I particularly like that you can search by waist measurement. I know exactly what you mean about customer service - I've given up certain stores based solely on their awful service. I'm so glad you liked the goth website, I can send you some others I like if you're interested? They all have rockabilly/goth/alt clothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, definitely one of my favorite shops. :D She's so organized. Without good customer service I don't feel satisfied with a purchase. Oh, yes, do!! I got my email and fb tab at the top of the page. I'd love to have more to add to my vintage links.

      Delete
  3. I love that you are telling it how it is. Great advice and it's nice to see personal experiences on stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joanna!! That's the main reason I did this. I'm so fed up with people who are either satisfied or not satisfied with their purchase, but yet to say anything.

      Delete
  4. wow, thanks so much for this intresting post! I have to admit that i've never given much thought to vintage pants. I think i have a pattern with multiple views (including pants) from the 1970s. I was just thinking that with a bit of altering, i could make the look more 30s. I'm also a fan of cigarette pants. I grew up watching the Dick Van Dyke show and Mary Tyler Moore wore them often. I love the flattering look. MUCH better than skinny jeans (uck). I'm also impressed with your new blog design and stuff! Thanks again!
    Your friend,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome, Beth! :) I love dresses, but I'm always drawn to pants. Always have been. Yeah, I have one from the 80s that still got that 70s vibe. I think I might try and rework it to be a 30s style too. Great idea! I love me some cigarette pants...but my hips, just don't agree. LOL!

      Delete
  5. This post is so, so helpful, dear Sean. With the exception of Freddies (I'm so sorry you had such a rotten experience with them, mine has always been great - fast, helpful replies to my emails, good sizing over all, etc), I've not had great luck in finding vintage appropriate pants that work well on my figure. I've bought from a couple of other UK sites, and even after asking their customer service people about the very best sizing for me, what I ended up receiving didn't work at all and I had to sell/give away the pants I got (which were not cheap to begin with at all, which just made the whole experience worst). I think that the next time I venture down the repro pants path, I'll probably try buying from an experienced etsy seamstrress who specializes in this field.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that Freddie's worked out for you and so many others. I guess it's just not the shop for me. Oh, I highly recomment Ruggersmarty of etsy. Her work is phenomenal!! Love her creations. I'm so sorry you've had troubles too with trying to acquire vintage pants. :)

      Delete
    2. I meant :( not :) at the end, LOL!

      Delete
  6. One of these days you will find those highly coveted pair of vintage slacks. Probably when you least expect it. But this advice is really good. Makes us all aware of the good and bad sellers out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably have to make them myself. :-/

      Delete
  7. The only one of these shops that I have any experience with is Freddies and I have just recently gotten my first pair of jeans from there. I have only worn them once since I got them, they were just a little snug in the waist so I waited a while trying to loose a few pounds. I guess Im a weird, in between size and that was one thing that I didnt really care for, the waist size jumped up two inches from the size I got to the next size, and I really only needed one inch. So anyway, I wore them recently and found that the rise was just a little too short for me, kept creeping up into my hiney all day. I guess if I had gotten the larger size it might not have done that, not sure, just know that they are a lot of money to pay to be uncomfortable.

    I do want to check out FabGabs though! Thanks so much for reviewing each of these companies for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your experience was still better than mine. I really hope that if any of you who read this chose to use these shops has a better experience than I did. You should totally check out Fab Gabs. But I must warn you, you'll become addicted quite easily. :)

      Delete
  8. What a great, comprehensive, post! I haven't heard of a few of these shops and I'm excited to check them out. I almost never wear pants because I can never seem to find any that flatter or fit my short (4'11") frame properly. Looking forward to seeing what these shops have to offer :)

    ConstantlyAlice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I can totally see why you have such a hard time with pants. I'm petite myself {onlu 5"2} and have trouble, so I can imagine how hard it'd be for you. I swear by Rugersmarty. She can get pants for your lovely petite frame!! :)

      Delete